Last Updated: January 15, 2015
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you use the Services to send or receive messages, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, phone number and any other information you choose to provide.
When you send or receive messages (“ChitChats”), we also temporarily collect, process and store the contents of those messages on our servers. The contents of those messages are also temporarily stored on the devices of recipients. Once all recipients have listened to a ChitChat, the ChitChat is automatically deleted from our servers and our services are programmed to delete the ChitChat from the ChitChat App on the recipients' devices. Similarly, our services are programmed to automatically delete a ChitChat after you and the recipient have heard it and swiped out of the conversation screen. We cannot guarantee that deletion of any message always occurs within a particular timeframe. We also cannot prevent others from making copies of your messages (e.g., by making a separate recording outside of the App). In addition, as for any other digital information, there may be ways to access messages while still in temporary storage on recipients' devices or, forensically, even after they are deleted. You should not use ChitChat to send messages if you want to be certain that the recipient cannot keep a copy.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Platforms, we automatically collect information about you, including:
· Usage Information: When you send or receive messages via our Platforms, we collect information about these messages, including the time, date, sender and recipient of the ChitChat.
· Log Information: We log information about your use of our Sites, including your browser type and language, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the website you visited before navigating to our Sites.
· Device Information: We may collect information about the computer or device you use to access our Platforms, including the hardware model, operating system and version, MAC address, unique device identifier, phone number, International Mobile Equipment Identity ("IMEI") and mobile network information. In addition, the Platform may access your device's native phonebook, with your consent, to facilitate your use of certain features of the App. For more information about how you can control our access to these applications, please see "Your Choices" below.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
· Provide, maintain and improve our Platforms, including to provide additional features and content for your ChitChats;
· Provide and deliver the products and services you request, and send you related information;
· Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
· Send you technical notices, updates, and support and administrative messages;
· Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Platforms;
· Personalize and improve the Platforms and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
· Use information from analytics (see below) to help understand user needs and provide you with better service;
· Detect, investigate and/or prevent fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activity; and
· Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
IDEO is based in the United States, and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Sites or Apps or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
Sharing of Information
· With other users when you send them messages, including your name and the contents of the ChitChat you send them;
· With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
· In response to legal process or a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, rule, or regulation, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
· In order to investigate or remedy potential violations of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of IDEO, our users or others;
· In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company; and
· With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
We work with Flurry to provide analytics in connection with the ChitChat mobile application. For more information about Flurry's privacy practices, please visit http://www.flurry.com/privacy-policy.html. To opt-out of Flurry Analytics tracking used with the ChitChat mobile application visit http://www.flurry.com/user-opt-out.html. Flurry is a separate company and cannot assist with ChitChat-specific issues. To contact IDEO, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. We strive to maintain the security of information but cannot guarantee that information security measures are fail-safe or guarantee that information on a Platform may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
Children (persons under the age of 13) are not eligible to use the App in any way. Minors between the page of 14 and 18 may not use the App unsupervised. If you are between the ages of 14 and 18, you may only use the App in conjunction with and under the supervision of your parents or legal guardians. Users may not submit any information about or identifying children in any way and IDEO has the right to discontinue access to the App or any Site in the event a user does so.
Certain features of the App require access to your device's native phonebook (e.g., to allow you to search for contacts with whom to connect). On iOS devices, you can grant or revoke your consent at any time and prevent us from continuing to access your phonebook by changing the settings on your device.
Certain features of the App allow you to invite people in your contact list to download the App. Also, if the person is not a user of the App and you send them a ChitChat, they will receive an invitation to download the App if they are not already a user of the App. Invites are sent via SMS and the invitee may incur charges in connection with receiving same if they are not already a user of the App.
If you do not want an invitation sent to someone in your contact list who is not already a user of the App, or if you are not sure if someone is a user of the App or would want to receive such an invitation, then do not send them a ChitChat.
ChitChat may send push notifications or alerts to your device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your device (iOS).
To contact us, please email email@example.com or write to:
150 Forest Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301 USA
Attn: IDEO Toy Lab